Who Are We?
In an industry where the day-to-day can become mundane, we are a one-of-a-kind firm.
Our mission at Paul Teoh Chartered Professional Accountants is to better lives and entire communities by redefining how financial reporting can drive decisions. We are a small seven person team of adventurers based out of Calgary who believe that public practice accounting has the potential to shape the future by providing proper clarity and peace of mind in an increasingly difficult world. Despite being geographically far from our clients, we continue to be sought out because of the reputation for our unconventional approach, belief in people, and commitment to helping clients achieve their long-term dreams and aspirations. We believe in the growth potential of our team and of our clients. We strive to use our gifts and shared knowledge to create a better world for the next generations to come.
We are fortunate to be able to contribute so meaningfully to the communities we work with – whether through presenting at annual general assemblies, or working on-site side-by-side with clients to understand their true situations. We get to travel to incredibly beautiful places that few Canadians have the opportunity to see. The small size of our team allows for inclusion and oneness.
About the Role
As a Junior Accountant, you will be traveling onsite to small communities (50 to 1,000 people) in the Northwest Territories while working with an engagement team to complete audits for First Nations and their subsidiaries. You will be introduced to clients and begin building an understanding of the issues they face and the goals they hope to achieve. Your role in the audit will be fundamental – testing all aspects of the financial statements as well as clients’ internal controls.
Among our Calgary clients, you will also be building a more contemporary public practice skillset – working with our diverse set of owner-managed businesses and non-profits. You may be performing everything from bookkeeping among different software, to assurance and compilation engagements, to completing corporate and personal tax returns. You will learn how we provide peace of mind by “Making Business Fun” for our entrepreneurial clients, in addition to helping them advance towards their own goals.
What Your Day-to-Day Will Look Like
- Work within an engagement team to perform audit testing and prepare audit working papers
- Engage with clients directly – assisting and performing bookkeeping tasks (including fund accounting), primarily using Sage 50
- When required, assist with compilation, review, and tax engagements – as an individual, or as part of a team
- Discuss workflow updates during weekly check-in meetings
- Track billable/non-billable time spent on a daily basis
What You Need to Succeed
- You have a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in accounting
- You have at least one year of accounting experience and/or in a customer-facing role
- You are legally eligible to work in Canada
- You can work from our head office in Calgary when required
- You hold a genuine desire to embrace the opportunity of travel and reside in Northern Canada for one to three weeks at a time
- You are easy-going and adaptable to accommodate for the challenges that remote communities may face
- You have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- You believe in the importance of delivering quality client service
- You are tech-savvy and an independent learner
- You are structured, organized, and can manage your own timelines within a flexible working-from-home policy
- You enjoy working with others to solve problems
- Your past experience with Sage 50 or another accounting system would be an asset (although not required)
- You are humble and eager to learn from others’ perspectives
- You have an interest in Indigenous culture and related issues
Why Join Us?
- Hold an unconventional career as an accountant – help make the world a better place, while enjoying adventure and meeting new people
- Endless opportunities for growth – freedom to shape your career in the way that best fits you
- Mentorship and coaching – we work without ego and are constantly looking for ways to upskill our team, on both a professional and personal level
- Competitive salary and a flexible private health spending benefits plan – fair compensation and personal wellbeing are of importance to us
- Starting with three weeks vacation and unlimited banked time off – we value work life balance
- Gratitude and supportiveness – employee recognition awards, biweekly teambuilders; we have a culture of genuine care and appreciation for one another
- Flexible work hours – we maintain core operating hours, but with the ability to structure your day based on your personal needs
- Enjoy learning on-the-job – spanning a wide range of topics, methodologies, and industries
- Rapport Builders – We build relationships based on seeking first to understand.
- Adaptable and Reliable – We are solution-oriented professionals who know how to adapt as needed.
- Purposeful Efforts – We share our hard-won knowledge to help clients achieve their big picture goals.
- Growth Mindset – We truly believe in the unlimited potential of people, whether for our team or for our clients.
- Your application will be reviewed and those moving to the next step will be asked to complete a brief one-way video interview where you may respond on your own time
- Successful candidates will then be asked to schedule an interview to meet in-person